Audible EU Privacy Notice
Last updated: 23rd May, 2018.
We know that you care how information about you is used and shared, and we appreciate your trust in us to do that carefully and sensibly. This Privacy Notice describes how we collect and process your personal information through Audible websites, services, and applications that reference this Privacy Notice (together “Audible Services”).
Table of Contents
- Controllers of Personal Information
- EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield
- What Personal Information About Customers Does Audible Europe Collect?
- For What Purposes does Audible Europe Process Your Personal Information?
- What About Cookies?
- Does Audible Europe Share Your Personal Information?
- How Secure is Information About Me?
- What About Third-Party Advertisers and Links to Other Websites?
- What Information Can I Access?
- What Choices Do I Have?
- Are Children Allowed to Use Audible Services?
- How long do we keep your personal information?
- Contacts, Notices & Revisions
- Examples of Information Collected
- Information You Can Access
- EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield
- Amazon Group Companies
Audible GmbH of Schumannstr. 6, 10117 Berlin and Audible Limited of 26-28 Glasshouse Yard, London EC1A 4JU (together “Audible Europe”) are data controllers of personal information collected and processed through Audible Services. Details can be found here.
Audible, Inc. participates in the EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield frameworks. Click here to learn more.
We collect your personal information in order to provide and continually improve our products and services.
Here are the types of information we gather:
We process your personal information to operate, provide, and improve the Audible Services that we offer to our customers. These purposes include:
Information about our customers is an important part of our business and we are not in the business of selling our customers’ personal information to others. Audible Europe shares customers’ personal information only as described below and with Amazon.com, Inc. and the subsidiaries that Amazon.com, Inc. controls that are either subject to this Privacy Notice or follow practices at least as protective as those described in this Privacy Notice.
- Third Party Service Providers: We employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include sending postal mail and e-mail, removing repetitive information from customer lists, analysing data, providing marketing assistance, providing search results and links (including paid listings and links), processing payments, transmitting content, scoring credit risk, and providing customer service. These third party service providers have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes. Further, they must process the personal information in accordance with this Privacy Notice and as permitted by applicable data protection laws.
- Business Transfers: As we continue to develop our business, we might sell or buy other businesses or services. In such transactions, customer information generally is one of the transferred business assets but remains subject to the promises made in any pre-existing Privacy Notice (unless, of course, the customer consents otherwise). Also, in the unlikely event that Amazon.com, Inc. (Audible Europe’s ultimate parent company) or substantially all of its assets are acquired, customer information will of course be one of the transferred assets.
- Protection of Audible Europe and Others: We release account and other personal information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law; enforce or apply our Conditions of Use and other agreements; or protect the rights, property, or safety of Audible Europe, our users, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Other than as set out above, you will receive notice when personal information about you might be shared with third parties and you will have an opportunity to choose not to share the information.
Transfers out of the European Economic Area
Whenever we transfer personal information to countries outside of the European Economic Area, we will ensure that the information is transferred in accordance with this Privacy Notice and as permitted by the applicable laws on data protection.
We design our systems and devices with your security and privacy in mind.
Audible Services may include links to other websites and apps, which may collect information about you when you interact with their content, advertising, and services. To learn more, see our Interest-based Ads Notice.
You can access your information, including your name, payment options, membership information, and purchase history in the Your Account section of the Audible websites. Click here for information on how to access your personal information.
If you have any questions or objections as to how we collect and process your personal information, please contact our Customer Service team.
In addition, subject to applicable law, you have the right to request access to, correct, and delete your personal data, and to ask for data portability. You may also object to our processing of your personal data or ask that we restrict the processing of your personal data in certain instances. If you wish to do any of these things, please contact Audible Customer Service.
Audible Europe doesn't sell products for purchase by children. We do sell children's products for purchase by adults. If you're under 18, you may use Audible Services only with the involvement of a parent or guardian.
We keep your personal information to enable your continued use of Audible Services, for as long as it is required in order to fulfil the relevant purposes described in this Privacy Notice, as may be required by law such as for tax and accounting purposes, or as otherwise communicated to you. For example, we retain your transaction history so that you can review past purchases, re-download your content, and to improve the relevancy of products and content we recommend.
If you have any concern about privacy at Audible Europe or want to contact one of our data controllers, please contact us with a thorough description and we will try to resolve the issue for you. Further, the data protection officer for the above mentioned data controllers can be contacted at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. You can file a complaint with the Berlin Data Protection Authority for Audible GmbH, or the Information Commissioner’s Office for Audible Limited.
Our business changes constantly and our Privacy Notice will change also. You should check our website frequently for changes. Unless stated otherwise, our current Privacy Notice applies to all information that we have about you and your account. We stand behind the promises we make, however, and will never materially change our policies and practices to make them less protective of customer information collected in the past without the consent of affected customers.
Information You Give Us When You Use Audible Services
You provide information to us when you:
As a result of those actions, you might supply us with such information as: your name, address and phone number; IP address; payment information; your age; your location information; people to whom you’ve sent Audible gifts or products, content of reviews and e-mails to us; your Listener Page; credit history information; VAT numbers; and device log files and configurations.
Examples of the information we collect and analyse include:
We may also use device identifiers, cookies, and other technologies on devices, applications and our web pages to collect browsing, usage or other technical information for fraud prevention purposes.
Information From Other Sources
Examples of information we receive from other sources include:
Examples of information you can access through Audible Services include:
Amazon.com, Inc. and certain of its controlled US affiliates (together, the Amazon Group Companies[LINK], or "We") participate in the EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield Frameworks regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal information from European Union member countries and Switzerland, respectively. We have certified with the Department of Commerce that we adhere to the Privacy Shield Principles. To learn more about the Privacy Shield Principles, see here.
If you have any inquiries or complaints about our handling of your personal data under Privacy Shield, or about our privacy practices generally, please contact us at: email@example.com. We will respond to your inquiry promptly. If we are unable to resolve any complaint relating to the Privacy Shield satisfactorily, or if we fail to acknowledge your complaint in a timely fashion, you can submit your complaint to TRUSTe, which provides an independent third-party dispute resolution service based in the United States. TRUSTe has committed to respond to complaints and to provide appropriate recourse at no cost to you. To learn more about TRUSTe's dispute resolution services or to refer a complaint to TRUSTe, visit here. If neither Amazon nor TRUSTe resolves your complaint, you may pursue binding arbitration through the Privacy Shield Panel. To learn more about the Privacy Shield Panel, see here.
As explained here we sometimes provide personal information to third parties to perform services on our behalf. If we transfer personal information received under the Privacy Shield to a third party, the third party's access, use, and disclosure of the personal data must also be in compliance with our Privacy Shield obligations, and we will remain liable under the Privacy Shield for any failure to do so by the third party unless we prove we are not responsible for the event giving rise to the damage.
You can review our Privacy Shield registration here. The Amazon Group Companies are subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). We may be required to disclose personal information that we handle under the Privacy Shield in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
As of July 5, 2017, the following entities are included in Amazon.com, Inc.'s Privacy Shield Certification:
Amazon Corporate LLC
Amazon Digital Services LLC
Amazon Media Group LLC
Amazon Services LLC
Amazon Web Services, Inc.