Listen free for 30 days
Add to basket failed.
Add to wishlist failed.
Remove from wishlist failed.
Follow podcast failed
Unfollow podcast failed
Listen with a free trial
Buy Now for £3.69
Personality is the way of thinking, feeling, and behaving that makes a person different from other people. An individual's personality is influenced by experiences, environment (surroundings, life situations), and inherited characteristics. A personality disorder is a way of thinking, feeling, and behaving that deviates from the expectations of the culture, causes distress or problems functioning, and lasts over time.
There are 10 specific types of personality disorders (such as borderline personality disorder). Common to all personality disorders is a long-term pattern of behavior and inner experience that differs significantly from what is expected. The pattern of experience and behavior begins by late adolescence or early adulthood, and causes distress or problems in functioning. Without treatment, the behavior and experience is inflexible and usually long lasting. The pattern is seem in at least two of these areas:
- The way of thinking about oneself and others
- The way of responding emotionally
- The way of relating to other people
- The way of controlling one's behavior
What is borderline personality disorder (BPD)?
One of the most highly publicized personality disorders is borderline personality disorder (BPD). Research shows that about 11% of people who seek outpatient treatment, and about 19% of those treated in inpatient settings have BPD. And about 74% of those diagnosed with BPD are women. According to the DSM-V, the American Psychological Association's diagnostic manual, in order to diagnose a person with BPD, they must manifest a pervasive pattern of instability in interpersonal relationships, self-image, and affect, accompanied by marked impulsivity.
Here is a preview of what you'll learn....
- What are the different types of personality disorder?
- Setting boundaries and setting limits
- Setting boundaries when a friend has borderline personality disorder
- How to interact with a loved one or friend with borderline personality disorder
- Tips on having a relationship with someone with borderline personality disorder
- Establishing healthy boundaries for personality disorder teens
- Diagnosis and treatment
- Much, much more!