Listen free for 30 days
Add to basket failed.
Add to wishlist failed.
Remove from wishlist failed.
Follow podcast failed
Unfollow podcast failed
Listen with a free trial
Buy Now for £79.99
A spine-chilling collection of creepy, unsettling and unnerving stories.
- 'If You See Her Face' by B. M. Croker
- 'The Ghost at the Blue Dragon' by William J. Wintle
- 'The Shadows' by Henry S. Whitehead
- 'The Grey Cat' by Barry Pain
- 'The Yellow Globe' by Alexander W. Drake
- 'The Devil of the Marsh' by H. B. Marriott-Watson
- 'The Spectre Spiders' by William J. Wintle
- 'The Curious Vehicle' by Alexander W. Drake
- 'Number Ninety' by B. M. Croker
- 'The Black Cat' by William J. Wintle
- 'The Permanent Stiletto' by W. C. Morrow
- 'Passing of a God' by Henry S. Whitehead
- 'The Chamber of Doom' by William J. Wintle
- 'The White Cat' by Hugh Walpole
- 'The Loosened Cord' by Alexander W. Drake
- 'Mrs. Brassington-Claypott's Children's Party' by F. Anstey
- 'The Inmate of the Dungeon' by W. C. Morrow
- 'The Red Rosary' by William J. Wintle
- 'Caveat Emptor' by F. Anstey
- 'The Former Passengers' by B. M. Croker
And over 20 more unsettling tales.
What listeners say about Uncanny Short StoriesAverage customer ratings
Reviews - Please select the tabs below to change the source of reviews.
Dobson is the wrong narrator for this title
Wrong reader -- I didn't make it through the first story.
Before I began listening, I spent a great deal of time verifying the titles and author names.
I used the "Listen now" feature to analyze what stories were included in which tracks. Rather than wasting that information, I have included it below.
I downloaded the title in two files (11:02:02 and 9:19:23). Please note, the twenty-fifth story in the collection -- For the Blood is the Life, by F.M. Crawford* -- somehow ended up being split between the two downloads.
The following is a full list of TRACKS (as a one-file download), STORY ORDER, TITLES, and AUTHORS. I set up for three, aligned, easily-readable columns, but Audible formatting blocked that.
1 -- 1. If you see her face / B.M. Croker
2 -- 2. The ghost at the Blue Dragon / W.J. Winkle
3-4 -- 3. The shadows / H.S. Whitehead
5 -- 4. The grey cat / B. Pain
6 -- 5. The yellow globe / A.W. Drake
7 -- 6. The Devil of the marsh / H.B. Marriott-Watson
8 -- 7. The spectre spiders / W.J. Wintle
9-10 -- 8. The curious vehicle / A.W. Drake
11 -- 9. Number ninety / B.M. Coker
12 -- 10. The black cat / W.J. Wintle
13 -- 11. The permanent stiletto / W.C. Morrow
14-15 -- 12. Passing of a god / H.S. Whitehead
16 -- 13. The chamber of doom / W.J. Wintle
17-18 -- 14. The white cat / H. Walpole
19 -- 15. The loosened cord / A.W. Drake
20 -- 16. Mrs. Brassington-Claypott's children's party / F. Anstey
21-22 -- 17. The inmate of the dungeon / W.C. Morrow
23 -- 18. The red rosary / W.J. Wintle
24 -- 19. Caveat empto / F. Anstey
25 -- 20. The former passengers / B.M. Croker
26 -- 21. The striding place / G. Atherton
27-29 -- 22. The screaming skull / F.M. Crawford
30 -- 23. The story of the vanishing patient / E.W. Peattie
31 -- 24. The lizard / C.J. Cutcliffe Hyne
*32-33 -- 25. For the blood is the life / F.M. Crawford
34-35 -- 26. "To let" / B.M. Croker
36 -- 27. Narrative of a ghost with a hand / S. Le Fanu
37-38 -- 28. The dak bungalow at Dakor / B.M. Croker
39 -- 29. The greatest good of the greatest number / G. Atherton
40 -- 30. Quality / J. Galsworthy
41 -- 31. The khitmatga / B.M. Croker
42 -- 32. The bed by the window / E.F. Benson
43 -- 33. Over the border / M. Robertson
44-49 -- 34. The beast with five fingers / W.F. Harvey
51 -- 35. The beast in the cave / H.P. Lovecraft
52-55 -- 36. Imprisoned with the pharaohs / attributed to H. Houdini, but written by H.P. Lovecraft
56-58 -- 37. Old fags / S. Aumonier
59 -- 38. Submarine / S. Benson
60 -- 39. The 19 Club / A.J. Alan
61 -- 40. The siege of Berlin / A. Daudet
62 -- 41. The fire / C.J. Cutcliffe Hyne
63 -- 42. Unwinding / W.F. Harvey
64 -- 43. The death-mask / H.D. Everett