It wasn't that long ago that black citizens had to move to the back of the bus. In this stirring collection, NPR tells stories large and small: of Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King, and the March on Washington; of Pullman porters, an invaluable green book, and women who baked pies to support the Montgomery bus boycott. Personal recollections and historical accounts paint vivid pictures of individuals and events that transformed a nation.
- "Introduction" by Michele Norris
- "Rosa Parks"
- "The Club from Nowhere: Cooking for Civil Rights"
- "The Forgotten Hero of the Civil Rights Movement"
- "The First Civil Rights Bus Boycott"
- "Before Rosa Parks, There Was Claudette Colvin"
- "Former Pullman Porter Subtly Confronted Racism"
- "'Green Book' Helped African Americans Travel Safely"
- "Jim Crow: Blacks Survived with Dignity"
- "The Power of Pictures in the Struggle for Civil Rights"
- "Emmett Till and the Impact of Images"
- "Mahalia Jackson: Voice of the Civil Rights Movement"
- "Wallace in the Schoolhouse Door"
- "Breaking the Color Barrier"
- "Sound Vault: The Civil Rights Act"
- "Mississippi 1964: Civil Rights and Unrest"
- "James Farmer and the Freedom Summer"
- "Freedom Riders"
- "Rep. John Lewis on Prosecuting the Past"
- "The Legacy of Medgar Evers"
- "Julian Bond Remembers"
- "Looking Back to Hear Malcolm X"
- "Dorothy Height Sees Dream Come True"
- "Radio History: March on Washington Recalled"
- "Remembering King and the 'Fierce Urgency of Now'"
- "Martin Luther King, 'At Canaan's Edge'"
What listeners say about NPR American Chronicles: Civil Rights
Reviews - Please select the tabs below to change the source of reviews.
- Mateusz Stawecki
Moving accounts of the Civil Rights movement
I came looking for a historical overview of the Civil Rights movement, but I've found so much more in this compilation. Just listening to Rosa Parks' voice was incredibly moving and many other accounts are truly fascinating. These people were true heroes and their stories should never be forgotten by humanity.
A really good account of civil rights
This book will help you learn new facts and appreciate those pioneers who struggled for the cause.