Listen free for 30 days
Add to basket failed.
Add to wishlist failed.
Remove from wishlist failed.
Follow podcast failed
Unfollow podcast failed
Listen with a free trial
Buy Now for £13.79
When a life-changing event occurs, the questions come fast and furious. This authoritative guide guides you through the difficult times of illness, death and mourning, presenting authentic Jewish tradition in a way that is both sensitive and instructive. Endorsed by leading rabbis, hospital chaplains, and family counselors, it will inform you what to do when faced with these life-changing events and provide you with the necessary liturgy, customs, and laws. The Jewish Mourner's Companion covers everything from illness through burial and beyond, without being unwieldy or overwhelming. It's written in a clear yet sensitive style so that it's fit for the layman, yet it contains enough guidance for an officiating rabbi or chaplain. It also provides a Jewish perspective that has been by illuminated by Jewish mystical insights.
Table of contents:
- Part 1: The journey of life, life and illness, the importance of life.
- Part 2: Visiting the sick.
- Part 3: The final days and moments, The Viduy - confession, prayers for the final moments, following the passing.
- Part 4: The State of “Onain,” a Jewish funeral, the funeral service, the Seudat Havra-ah (the first meal).
- Part 5: The periods of mourning, the Shiva (Seven Days), the Shiva Home, the laws of Shiva, comforting the mourners, the condolence declaration, the Mourner’s Kaddish, Mishnayot Study for Mourners.
- Part 6: The Last Day of Shiva, setting the tombstone, between Shiva and Shloshim, Shloshim (Thirtieth Day), between Shloshim and the Yartzeit, the Yartzeit (Anniversary), Yizkor (Memorial Prayer).
- Part 7: Visiting the gravesite, readings, and meditations.
- Part 8: Ways to honor the soul of the deceased, recommended reading.
Note: This audiobook includes an accompanying PDF which provides transliterated liturgy for several mentioned selections, including the Last Moments ("Viduy"), selections for the Funeral, including the Mourner's Kaddish, and several more.
PLEASE NOTE: When you purchase this title, the accompanying PDF will be available in your Audible Library along with the audio.