Who was Cinna? What do the hawthorn and primrose symbolize? Or President Snow's roses and Peeta's bread? What about Katniss's last name? Bringing details from myths, herbal guides, military histories, and the classics, English professor and award-winning pop culture author Valerie Estelle Frankel sheds light on the deeper meanings behind Panem's heroes and villains in this hottest of YA trilogies. In her series, Collins not only weaves a heroic tale of deep complexity but harnesses the power of Shakespeare and Rome to retell an ancient epic of betrayal, violence, and glory on the stage of an apocalyptic future.
The perfect treat for fans of all ages. Everything Hunger Games, packed into one volume.
From Alma Coin to Wiress you'll learn about
- Why roses are a flower of death
- How 18 of the characters are used in Shakespeare's plays
- Katniss's nickname Catnip
- The meaning of "The Hanging Tree"
- Peeta's pearl and Katniss's salvation
- Effie the saint and Finnick the Irish hero