E.F. Benson (1867-1940) is probably best known today for his sparkling, comic Lucia novels. In his own day, it was his ghost stories which were his most popular works. This collection of 10 stories exemplifies Benson's fine literary style and his ability to create the most frightening of ghostly and macabre tales. They are: "Mrs Amworth"; "Naboth's Vineyard"; "At the Farmhouse"; "Negotium Perambulans"; "The Wishing Well"; "The Terror by Night"; "The Thing in the Hall"; "The Cat"; "The Sanctuary".
Public Domain (P)2016 Spiders' House Audio/Roy Macready
Creepy, Suspenseful, Disturbing
Additional Product Information:
1) 'Mrs Amworth' - Surburban parasites?
2) 'Naboth's Vineyard' - "Do not covet thy neighbour's house"
3) 'At the Farmhouse' - Revenge served particularly hot
4) 'Negotium Perambulans' - Literally 'tasks passing', there is always a price to pay.
5) 'The Wishing Well' - All's fair in love and magic
6) 'The Terror by Night' - Premonitions of impending doom
7) 'The Thing in the Hall' - Beware the company you keep
8) 'Outside the Door' - Echoes of past crimes
9) 'The Cat' - Painter in love
10) 'The Sanctuary' - Dark family secrets
He has a ponderous slightly reedy voice, but this is perfect for these tales.
Negotium Perambulans is particularly creepy
Choice and consequence is a recurring theme in E. F. Benson's supernatural stories.
Report Inappropriate Content
If you find this review inappropriate and think it should be removed from our site, let us know. This report will be reviewed by Audible and we will take appropriate action.