Ever wondered how great singers in musicals and opera get (and keep) the job?
They have a vocal coach.
Expert vocal coach Jeremy Fisher lifts the lid on what goes on in a voice studio. The book is packed with real-life examples of singers and singing lessons, stories of auditions for musical theatre and opera, and voiceover training.
This book is packed!
- Ideas and exercises for opera singers, for musical theatre singers and for singer-pianists
- Step-by-step advice on the singing audition (the cattle call, the first audition, the recall system)
- How to choose repertoire to fit your voice and personality
- How to deal with the accompanist
- Which warmup exercises to avoid
- 60 "House" songs for men
- 60 "House" songs for women
- Advice on choosing a pop or comedy song
- Exercises for learning and memorizing (and why they're different)
- How to get the best diction in a patter song
- Making top notes easier
- Belting the money note
And so much more.
Jeremy Fisher also shares his own stories of auditioning, working in the West End on Les Miserables and Phantom of the Opera, and tells you what they don't teach you at college about going on tour.
With comedy moments, quizzes, and 97 opera titles that went wrong, there's something for everyone interested in "backstage".
If you're a budding West End star, a Broadway legend, or a Covent Garden diva, you'll love the case histories and descriptions of actual lessons from Jeremy's studio.
If you're a vocal coach yourself you'll pick up quantities of ideas, tips, and techniques to coach your singers.
And if you're not a singer yourself but you want to find out how they do it, Jeremy shares moment-by-moment stories of over 40 lessons with singers from the classical world, musical theatre, cabaret, and contemporary commercial music studios.
PLEASE NOTE: When you purchase this title, the accompanying PDF will be available in your Audible Library along with the audio.