Listen free for 30 days
Add to basket failed.
Add to wishlist failed.
Remove from wishlist failed.
Follow podcast failed
Unfollow podcast failed
Listen with a free trial
Buy Now for £31.49
Learn the science of self-compassion and mindfulness to heal and build resilience.
In the face of a setback or failure, is your first response to "get tough" on yourself? Do you worry that being too easy on yourself will make you "go soft"? In fact, more than a decade of research shows that mindful self-compassion makes us stronger, not weaker. Together, mindfulness and self-compassion:
- Reduce anxiety, depression, trauma symptoms, and chronic pain.
- Make us more capable, connected with others, and resilient.
- Improve our health, personal relationships, and ability to achieve our aspirations.
In this immersive seven-hour audio program - presented to an audience of psychotherapists, caregivers, teachers, and meditators - you'll join two pioneering researchers to explore:
- The science supporting the many benefits of mindfulness and self-compassion
- How to build kind awareness through meditations, physical gestures, and many other tested methods
- How to cultivate presence, ease, and courage
Taught with depth, humor, and an empathy for those in need, Shauna Shapiro and Kristin Neff weave surprising scientific insights, their own stories as dedicated mothers and researchers, and a wealth of guided practices to bring mindfulness and self-compassion into every area of our lives.
- Three ingredients of effective mindfulness: intention, attention, and attitude
- Posture, movement, touch, and tone of voice - somatic tools to activate self-compassion
- Self-esteem versus self-compassion - crucial differences
- Working with a challenging client, parent, or child (and not burning out)
- Healing trauma - guidance for survivors and therapists
- How mindfulness and self-compassion foster secure attachment within ourselves
- Interconnectedness and interbeing - how self-compassion and mindfulness expand our empathy and sense of self - and many other topics
PLEASE NOTE: When you purchase this title, the accompanying PDF will be available in your Audible Library along with the audio.
What listeners say about The Science of Mindfulness and Self-CompassionAverage customer ratings
Reviews - Please select the tabs below to change the source of reviews.
- Brian Lucas
It felt like over half this book was meditations. I wanted information, tips, practices, and Q&A, but so much of the time listening to this was spent on guided meditations.
While not a bad thing I'm sure for a lot of people, I personally have my own meditation practice and didn't need the sub par ones presented here.
There are a few golden nuggets in this audiobook and some great ideas and stories (like about Shauna's son and the ants).
I personally returned this audiobook because I was hoping for more information and less practicing.
There are some fantastic audiobooks that set all the meditations at the end of the book for the people who do want them, but having them littered throughout here made it unenjoyable to me personally.
Yes I understand this was a seminar / talk and that was their format, but my point is that other people got it right when presenting mindfulness as an audiobook and I wish this would have too.
If you have no problems with the meditations strewn throughout, then this audiobook is really fantastic and Kristen and Shauna are wonderful presenters of self compassion and you'll love their work!
9 people found this helpful
- Anonymous User
very delightful, like being present in the session. the calm and vividness was great! thanks
2 people found this helpful
- Yesenia P.
this training was incredibly engaging and life altering! It has been incredibly helpful for my clients. the science behind mindfulness and the practical applications are so useful.
1 person found this helpful