Fifty terrifying short stories from the great classic horror writers:
- 1. 'Pigeons from Hell' by Robert E. Howard
- 2. 'Pickman’s Model' by H. P. Lovecraft
- 3. 'The Horror Horn' by E. F. Benson
- 4. 'The Fearsome Touch of Death' by Robert E. Howard
- 5. 'The Terrible Old Man' by H. P. Lovecraft
- 6. 'The Step' by E. F. Benson
- 7. 'Dagon' by H. P. Lovecraft
- 8. 'The Dream Snake' by Robert E. Howard
- 9. 'Caterpillars' by E. F. Benson
- 10. 'The Clock' by W. F. Harvey
- 11. 'In the Forest of Villefore' by Robert E. Howard
- 12. 'The Book' by H. P. Lovecraft
- 13. 'Memory' by H. P. Lovecraft
- 14. 'The Thing on the Roof' by Robert E. Howard
- 15. 'The Face' by E. F. Benson
- 16. 'The Cats of Ulthar' by H. P. Lovecraft
- 17. 'The Cask of Amontillado' by Edgar Allan Poe
- 18. 'Nyarlathotep' by H. P. Lovecraft
- 19. 'The Beast in the Cave' by H. P. Lovecraft
- 20. 'Rattle of Bones' by Robert E. Howard
- 21. 'The Man Who Hated Aspidistras' by W. F. Harvey
- 22. 'The Tell-tale Heart' by Edgar Allan Poe
- 23. 'The Beast with Five Fingers' by W. F. Harvey
- 24. 'Cool Air' by H. P. Lovecraft
- 25. 'The Thing in the Hall' by E. F. Benson
- 26. 'Sea Curse' by Robert E. Howard
- 27. 'The Bath Chair' by E. F. Benson
- 28. 'The Right Hand of Doom' by Robert E. Howard
- 29. 'The Bus Conductor' by E. F. Benson
- 30. 'From Beyond' by H. P. Lovecraft
And 20 more terrifying tales….< /p>
What listeners say about Tales of Horror and Suspense
Reviews - Please select the tabs below to change the source of reviews.
- anthony mcsweeney
Very bad narratiooooonnnnnnn
If this book wasn’t for you, who do you think might enjoy it more?
Can audio books be patched like software? Seriously, who choose this narrator? I don't know if the stories are any good because she takes me out of it so much I couldn't finish. I seriously recommend avoiding this and use your credits on something else.
Would you ever listen to anything by the authors again?
Not from this narrator.
How could the performance have been better?
By using a different narrator.
What character would you cut from Tales of Horror and Suspense?
I don't know, I couldn't stand listening to the narrator after 10 minutes so I gave up listening.
Any additional comments?
Never use this person again...I don't know what she's like as a human being, she could be the nicest person in the world but she seriously needs to find a new line of work
5 people found this helpful
- LNI S.
Awesome stories destroyed by HORRIBLE narration
What disappointed you about Tales of Horror and Suspense?
The Narrator sounded like the stand-in for Esmerelda on Bewitched, or some self indulgent acting teacher from the 20s. Actually painful to listen to.
Who was your favorite character and why?
Couldn't say, the narration kept yanking me out of the stories
Would you be willing to try another one of Cathy Dobson’s performances?
Yes right after I sign up for a mugging
What reaction did this book spark in you? Anger, sadness, disappointment?
Regret for purchasing it
Any additional comments?
My own fault. I must remember to listen to samples before buying. In the hands of another narrator this could have been a great collection
8 people found this helpful
CAREFUL WHICH COLLECTION YOU PICK....
The production company obviously had Ms. Dobson read as many Victorian and Edwardian short stories as possible. She probably did most of these recording sessions 10 years ago.
** Since then, each recorded story is being used repeatedly, spread out across multiple collections of audiobooks such as this one . **
Therefore, be careful which one you pick. I have several of the earlier audiobooks. Frankly, it's insulting: the repetition of the same recordings, all used to "pad" the majority of what you will find here, and in the many collections read by Ms. Dobson. ( I wonder if she actually owns the production content herself.... If so, I'm in the wrong business! )
6 people found this helpful
Great stories/awful narrator
The stories were good, many were actually great. But the narrator? Please do yourself a favor and listen to a preview. Hear that? That is not the narrator affecting her voice for key moments in the story. That is her constant cadence. It never changes. Never.
Wish I could leave 0 stars.
5 people found this helpful
same woman same voice 20 hours. very monotone and boring. wish I could get credit back
9 people found this helpful
Reader is horrible!
The reader is horrible, I can't stand the British accent and the stories are really bad too so you should look at the ratings first. it didn't get such a low score by accident. This is just a waist of time and money.
4 people found this helpful
- Shan Buckley
I wish I could return this book but I took too long to listen and now it's too late 😩
This is the ABSOLUTE WORST audible performance I've ever witnessed. The horrible up and down volume instead of shifting voices....it's just noise.
I'm hoping I don't have anymore texts performed by this narrator.
Can't speak to the story because I wasn't able to listen to it because of the performance.
The stories were... good? I think. I could not get passed the narrator. The senseless addition of inflection and drawn-out syllables made it nearly impossible to listen to. I would love to see this collection done again with a different narrator.