Prof. Elizabeth Orchardson-Mazrui currently teaches art and design in the School of Visual and Performing Arts at Kenyatta University, Kenya. She studied art and design at Cambridge School of Art, Cambridge, UK and has a BA in Textiles/Fashion (first-class hons) from West Surrey College of Art and Design, Farnham, UK. She holds a PhD in Art History from the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, UK.
She is also a practicing artist and writer. Her books include:
- The Adventures of Mekatilili
- Sheila, Let's Write to God
- Bittersweet: The Pain and Joy of Being (a book of poems)
- Art and Material Culture: A Socio-Historical Study of the Mijikenda
- Travels in the Holy Land and Other Countries
Elizabeth has also published academic articles on Mijikenda socio-cultural-belief systems, gender and human rights issues, and art and design books for schools.