Fifty Thrilling Stories: A wonderful collection of classic thrillers, mystery stories, crime tales and weird accounts of uncanny events.
- 1. “Query” by “Seamark”
- 2. “The Furnished Room” by O. Henry
- 3. “The Dancing Partner” by Jerome K. Jerome
- 4. “The Squaw” by Bram Stoker
- 5. “The 19 Club” by A. J. Alan
- 6. “The Interruption” by W. W. Jacobs
- 7. “Laura” by Saki
- 8. “A Descent into the Maelström” by Edgar Allan Poe
- 9. “The Diver” by A. J. Alan
- 10. “The Man of the Night” by Edgar Wallace
- 11. “The Burglary” by Arnold Bennett
- 12. “The Hammer of God” by G. K. Chesterton
- 13. “Charles” by A. J. Alan
- 14. “The Marquise” by George Sand
- 15. “Twenty-Six Men and a Girl” by Maxim Gorky
- 16. “Malachi’s Cove” by Anthony Trollope
- 17. “The Man who was Blind” by Edwin Pugh
- 18. “The Mark of the Beast” by Rudyard Kipling
- 19. “The Haunted Doll’s House” by M. R. James
- 20. “Esme” by Saki
- 21. “Mademoiselle Fifi” by Guy de Maupassant
- 22. “Miss Bracegirdle does her Duty” by Stacy Aumonier
- 23. “Odour of Chrysanthemums” by D. H. Lawrence
- 24. “The Monkey’s Paw” by W. W. Jacobs
- 25. “The Story of an Hour” by Kate Chopin
- 26. “His Brother’s Keeper” by W. W. Jacobs
- 27. “The Murder of the Mandarin” by Arnold Bennett
- 28. “The Seventh Man” by Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch
- 29. “A Coincidence” by A. J. Alan
- 30. “The Perfect Murder” by Stacy Aumonier
… and twenty more gripping tales.
What listeners say about Fifty Thrilling Stories
Reviews - Please select the tabs below to change the source of reviews.
The stories seem to be good, but Dobson's performance is so monotonous that it's completely impossible to enjoy them. Avoid this recording.
12 people found this helpful
- RACHEL E KEYS
Story's seem interesting but the vocal of narrator so off putting its impossible to listen to for long, I've never heard words pronounced the way she does, but I it's very peculiar and off putting! It's never taken me soooo long to finish a book and don't think I ever will this one.😔😔
5 people found this helpful
What did you love best about Fifty Thrilling Stories?
I was in the mood for something like Lovecraft, and these fit the bill.
Who would you have cast as narrator instead of Cathy Dobson?
She is the worst narrator ever. Her accent is intrusive, and her cadence is almost unbearable.
27 people found this helpful
- Gregory Griffith
Pass on this one.
These stories probably were thrilling when they were all written in 1880, but they will hold little interest for a modern audience. Only about 15% of the collection can be said to climb above irritatingly dull. The narrator also had an odd and grating style that detracted from enjoyment of the collection. Definitely avoid this one.
1 person found this helpful