Fortune has a secret.
Humanity, in its struggle to escape its own planet's demise, began sending colony ships from Earth almost 700 years ago in the desperate hope a handful would find someplace habitable for human life and be able to continue our species. Only one ship survived.
It survived only because it found a vast swath of alien planets, all terraformed, all utterly abandoned. Alien megastructures cold and lifeless. Alien vehicles left in panicked lines, sealed from the inside, no corpses within. Empty space stations, with no one to run them but the dust. Resources everywhere, ripe for the taking.
But Fortune is different. Of all the planets colonized by humans after the chaos of Migration, this single jungle-infested colony on the very edge of the known universe holds the key to the alien collapse...and to humanity's survival. Everywhere else advanced alien ruins mar every surface, every planetoid, every debris ring and asteroid, but of the creatures that made them there is no sign. On Fortune something survives....
Unfortunately for humanity, while time is running out, a rebellion is brewing, one that could save our species - or consign it to dust like the aliens that came before us. Now, 700 years after our first brush with extinction, the fate of the human race once again rests on the shoulders of a few: a seven-year-old sociopath and her combat-gifted big sister, a man who's dreamed of the future, an infamous smuggler, and a Coalition pilot sworn to destroy the rebel cause.
This time, however, the stakes are higher. For lurking on Fortune is a secret.
An epic postapocalyptic science fiction adventure that will make you hold your breath, cry, curse the powers that be, and in the end question what exactly it means to be human.
©2016 Sara King (P)2016 Audible, Inc.
There are no listener reviews for this title yet.
"An amazing story and an amazing performance!"
Sara King's masterful construction of this modern space opera is both deeply personal and vastly expansive. My only criticism is why can't there be more to this story RIGHT NOW?!?! I suppose I'll have to make due with all her other stories :)
Allyson Johnson is a tour de force. I completely forget that it's one person telling me the story. She's fantastic at everything that I have heard, but these last two stories by Sara King have really allowed her to shine.
"Sort of hard to follow"
This is an interesting stories in having many facets. Difficult to follow at times toward the end.
"Kept me on the edge of my seat!"
Get character development. I just love science fiction. The story line is gripping. I can't wait for the third installment of this series.
Yeah book one was really good. This book however , is straight garbage, no ending, tons of filler. It was annoying.
"I like..I like!!"
It ranks in the top 20% of my audio books.
My wife and I liked it very much.
"Fun and fresh new scifi."
author dares to make her heroes atypical. look forward to hearing more from this author.
"Mind-blowing plot as usual!"
There is one problem with reviewing audiobooks, peeps, and it's remembering names and trying to spell them correctly. I just spent 30 mins going through other people's reviews to get the names I need, and I still couldn't find them all. *grins*
Anyway, I adore Sara King's books. They are always so far-reaching and mind-blowing, and Fortune's Folly is no exception. The narrator here is also wonderful and brings all the characters to life.
Overall, this is a book of many revelations:
- Anna is finally taken down a notch (yay!). She is such a horrible little psycho, I was fervently wishing for her to die.
- We meet Quad who is far better at all things tech than Anna, but much more naive, which makes Anna a real danger to him.
- Tatiana and Milar are my faves. Tat is an awesome character. She is self-centered and spoiled, but not enough to make her unlikeable. This puppy knows hat she is doing, and Milar loves her no matter what. In this book, Tatiana makes a major discovery about Fortune's unique resources and why they are there.
- Josie Brackett and Magali. I wasn't very happy with those two. On one hand Magali is responsible for some freaking epic fights in this book, on the other hand, her mind is going, and she wallowing in self-pity when she is not kicking a*s.
- Joel and Jean do a mind-blowing heist of the century, which is really funny. But then Jean goes and spoils it, and the rest of the book the duo picks up the pieces.
- Dobie continues being awesome, especially after Quad turns him into a comic book character with his upgrades. I love ho he stays with Anna to keep the little psycho in check.
- Whiteman Joe and Peter. Peter is still a whiner, and I totally don't like him, but I enjoyed Joe's new depth of character and his role in the plot. He was a treat!
- Finally, Alpha Gen. This plot like starts okay, but by the end of the book it's mess. New characters are introduced left, right and center, and I couldn't keep up with hat as going on which is why I had to lower the rating.
Oh, nearly forgot! Yolk babies were really good too. Overall, a really chaotic listen, but an epic one at that. Recommended.
I really enjoyed the first book in this series and, with no hesitation, purchased the 2nd as soon as it was available. The simplicity and intriguing story is what drew me in on the first book and I was dying to hear what hastened with the very likeable, and hateable, characters. The 2nd book is overwhelmingly convoluted with undefeatable super hero tech. The story unwittingly turned into a comic book and I quickly lost interest. I haven't quite finished yet however the unexpected turn irritated me to the point I felt compelled to stop reading and write this review. I am still giving the performance 5 stars and the story itself 3 stars because I am still drawn to the major characters in the story. I will continue to listen, likely skipping the tedious undefeatable super hero segments, cause I really must know what happens to my favorite characters however it is unlikely I will purchase the 3rd book in the series should there be one.
great science fiction if you liked the first book in the series you will want to read this one.
Report Inappropriate Content
If you find this review inappropriate and think it should be removed from our site, let us know. This report will be reviewed by Audible and we will take appropriate action.