©2004 Peter Collier; ©2004 David Horowitz; (P)2007 Blackstone Audio, Inc.
Listening and learning.
I thought I would get this ebook to listen to those who argue against Chomsky's views. I have read a lot of Chomsky's work and am familiar with some of the arguments he's been involved in. However, it is always important to consider other viewpoints and ideas, since one person cannot always be right.
So, I wanted to go in with an open mind and consider alternate points of view, since I think that is important.
I wish I hadn't bothered. I lasted 15 minutes before getting totally sick of the emotive drivel and shameful distortions that Collier has turned out. Yes, it is that bad.
Some quick points:
1. He either does not understand Chomsky's arguments or has willingly distorted them since he constantly makes claims about what Chomsky's views are, but they are pretty much unrecognisable from what I had understood from Chomsky's work.
2. The writing is overflowing with emotive descriptions of Chomsky's alleged (in fact, just straw man arguments) views and behaviour. Chomsky is, we hear, "anti-American" (note to Collier: being critical of a country's foreign policy or power structures does not make someone 'anti-that-country'), and a wide range of other snide digs, that play the man rather than addressing the actual issues.
3. There is no attempt at balance. This is just a diatribe made by someone who clearly doesn't like Noam Chomsky and so will stoop to any level to denigrate him. There is clearly no interest in laying out a mature and sensible set of counter-arguments. Instead, it is playground squabbling from the start.
The narration is ok, although there have already been some mispronunciations in the first few minutes.
This book is like listening to the ranting of a certain kind of person with far-right views, poor education and a very limited world view. That means that:
1. If you are limited in your faculties, and think far-right narratives like Fox are balanced and reasonable, then you might like this book.
2. If you have a brain in your head and understand the Earth isn't flat - then you really should stay clear of this by a country mile.
I am glad Audible has a no-quibble returns policy. This rubbish is not worth paying for.
Report Inappropriate Content
If you find this review inappropriate and think it should be removed from our site, let us know. This report will be reviewed by Audible and we will take appropriate action.